- This event has passed.
Transfiguration Preserve Workday
October 9 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
*RSVP IS REQUIRED*
During the 2017 Party Rock Fire, over 7,000-acres in the Hickory Nut Gorge burned. Approximately 180-acres of Transfiguration Preserve (TP) was included in this wildfire. Although we are still assessing and learning about the positive and negative effects of this occurrence, we quickly realized that several non-native invasive species (NNIS) were going to flourish. One of these species, Japanese Kudzu, is heavily prevalent in this area and a concern to the conservation and biodiversity found within this property.
We will be removing Japanese Kudzu through hand-pulling, cutting crowns, and applying small amounts of herbicide as needed. You will get dirty, so make sure to wear appropriate clothing.
Volunteers must be able to walk moderate distances across rough terrain. All tools and gloves will be provided. Plant ID and removal techniques will be taught on-site.
What to Wear:
- Face mask
- Work pants, long sleeves; dress for the weather
- Close-toed shoes
What to Bring:
- Drinking Water
- Snacks / Lunch
- Leather Work Gloves (if you have a personal pair)
- Small Backpack
- Change of Clothes for drive home (recommended)
We will be following our Phase 3 COVID Standards, this will include:
- Hosting groups no larger than 10 participants
- Providing every volunteer with their own, disinfected, set of tools
- Physical distancing of 6ft+ between every volunteer
- Wearing face masks when around the group
Interested in joining this workday? To RSVP or for more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Meredith 828-697-5777 ext. 211.