- This event has passed.
The Park at Flat Rock: Invasive Removal Workday
August 14 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
The Park at Flat Rock features open spaces, walking trails, picnic areas and playgrounds. Encouraging native species and their habitats, the park also supports pollinator gardens, streams, ponds, and urban forests. Designed to be uniquely Flat Rock, but universal in appeal, it draws in people of all ages to interact with nature while improving health and wellness of the greater community.
Help the park go native! For this workday, we will be removing non-native invasive plant species from the property, promoting the park’s beauty and native plant biodiversity. Invasive removal will take place along the established trail systems, using techniques like hand pulling, pruning, hand sawing, and the option to use small amounts of herbicide.
Bring the family! This workday will have opportunities for a wide range of ages to be involved in the care of their local park.
Volunteers must be able to walk moderate distances. All tools and gloves will be provided. Plant ID and removal techniques will be taught on-site.
What to Bring:
• Leather work gloves (if you have a personal pair)
• Small backpack for carrying tools
What to Wear:
• Closed toed shoes
• Work pants, hat; dress for the weather
We will be following Conserving Carolina’s COVID Standards, this will include:
• Hosting groups no larger than 50 participants
• Providing every volunteer with their own, disinfected, set of tools
• Physical distancing of 6ft+ between every volunteer
• Wearing face masks when around the group if unvaccinated
*Upon RSVP you will receive directions to the site*
For more information email [email protected] or call Meredith at 828-697-5777 ext. 211