Strawberry Gap Trail Volunteer Workday
May 15 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pmFree
Strawberry Gap Trail is a ~2.8 mile trail right on the continental divide in the Upper Hickory Nut Gorge. The trail features beautiful vistas, scenic rock outcroppings, high elevation pastures, and areas of old growth forest. It will be another section of trail that is added to the State trail system that’s in the Upper Hickory Nut Gorge.
We’re preparing for this trail to officially open, and we could use your help to get the final pieces of field work complete! This volunteer opportunity will have you helping us finish a section of sustainable trail and getting you a sneak peek to one of our newest trails. Keep your eyes open and you never know what you might see!
Workday Description: There is opportunity for everyone, all ages and experience levels are welcome. After the workday there will be an opportunity to check out more of the trail!
Tasks on our list for the 3rd:
• “Crushing” rock
• Brushing back parts of the trail that have become overgrown,
• Debirming parts of the trail,
• Out sloping parts of the trail system that aren’t shedding water properly,
• Building water bars,
• Digging and clearing drains
What to Wear:
• Warm Layers (Spring can be a lion and a lamb)
• Sturdy boots that will get muddy
• Hat and Gloves
What to Bring:
• Work Gloves
• Good Spirits!
We will be following Phase 3 COVID 19 Standards, this will include:
• Hosting groups no larger than 10 participants
• Providing every volunteer with their own, disinfected, set of tools
• Physical distancing of 6ft+ between every volunteer
• Wearing face masks when around the group
Please only drive with folks from your own household to the worksite location.
Volunteers will need to be ready to hike up to 2 miles collectively, although we will be driving closer to the work site location – we will still need to hike out and back to our cars. Be prepared to get dirty, and have fun doing it.
Interested in joining this workday? To RSVP or for more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Meredith at 828-697-5777 ext. 211.